Thursday, January 7, 2016

Wellington Weekly # 1

I've made it through the first week of 2016, and oh my, it has already been a whirlwind. To ring in 2016, I spent New Year's Eve with my family. It was a nice quiet evening at home. The next morning I had a bright and early 6 am wake-up call. I was headed to FLORIDA! 

At that point, it still hadn't sunk in that I would be spending an entire semester in Wellington, Florida working for Phelps Media Group as a seasonal intern. I had been waiting for this day for two months, and it was finally here. My mom and I packed up the truck, and started our decent into the south.


January 1
We made a stop in Jacksonville after driving for about 10 hours. Nothing too exciting happened this day, except that maybe I drove the entire way while my mom had the luxury of taking a nap. You're welcome mom!

January 2
The next morning we had breakfast with one of my mom's old friends, and drove the final few hours to the condo I would be staying in. I'm staying with a friend of someone in the Phelps company, and she has been great! I have my own room and bathroom, and we both really get along. My mom and I explored the Palm Beach area, and I drug her to the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center, where I will be spending most of my time working. I fell in LOVE. Wellington is the perfect spot for equestrian fanatics. There are trails alongside the road, equestrian centers on every corner, and of course, palm trees as far as the eye can see! After drooling over the horses and the facility, we grabbed dinner (and ate way too much chips and salsa) did some grocery shopping, and headed back to the condo to finish settling in.

January 3
A lazy Sunday well spent! My mom really wanted to go to the beach, but we ended up deciding on spending the day shopping and exploring. We found the original Lilly Pulitzer juice stand first. It was really cool to experience the small business, local feel. We walked around the shops on Worth Avenue, and it was definitely not our speed when it comes to shopping. We aborted the upscale shopping and headed to an outdoor mall. First stop? Cheesecake factory!! The S'mores cheesecake is 100% recommended for sure. After walking around a little bit more, we headed to the condo to finish off the day by making spaghetti squash! My first time trying it and definitely not my last. Also 100% recommended!! (we also attempted to watch making a murderer, but I fell asleep and my mom stayed up googling information on the case...oops!)

January 4
My first day of work!! This was an exciting and nerve-racking day. I couldn't wait to start my short, but whirlwind career at Phelps. We got introduced around the company, introduced to our very own intern office (yup!) and hit the ground running with lunch provided by the ever so gracious owner, Mason Phelps, and an orientation on how to post releases and work the cameras! I have little photography experience, but holding one of those huge fancy Cannons felt pretty good! I met up with my mom after work and we headed to the condo for leftovers! I then proceeded to fall asleep to another movie we tried to watch (sorry mom!).

January 5
This morning I had to say goodbye to my mom! My uncle was on his way to pick her up and drive her to Fort Myers, and I was headed in for my second day at work. I am so thankful that she was able to come help me settle in. At work we got to sit in on a staff meeting and hear about all of the amazing things everyone here is working on. It really opened my eyes to the amount of effort and passion each person has for what they do. When I got home from work, I had my first ever night alone! I made myself an adult meal, finished season 5 of One Tree Hill, and hit the hay (pun intended).

January 6
Hump day!! It seems the week is actually going by faster working a 9-5. Now, the job won't be a 9-5 once WEF kicks in next week, but I'm loving every second so far. Today we got to transcribe interviews and learn more about what goes on behind the scenes! The other hunter/jumper intern, Jenna, and I went to Panera for lunch, and took a trip to sight see some amazing farms after work. We stopped at Target for some necessary shopping, and I headed home to make dinner and call it a night! (after baking cookies of course)

January 7
Today was polo day!! Mason, the founder, and Chip, the CEO, were kind enough to take the new employees out to lunch at the International Polo Club. I felt like I was sitting in a resort or on the set of a movie as I scarfed down my food (important note: the polo ball is the must have dessert... a ball of ice cream rolled in coconut and covered in hot fudge... HEAVEN!). It was a wonderful afternoon, and another lovely day spent at the Phelps office. I think I'm going to like it here!!

Sincerely,
Allyson xoxo

Things I learned this week
1. Always give your mom some credit and some thanks. Being you're own adult person is hard, but being a mom is even harder. 

2. Always check the expiration date....Especially on your license. Just take my word on this one. 

3. Florida weather is beautiful... but it also rains. Keep an umbrella in your car and in your purse at all times, you'll probably need it.

4. A "chucker" in polo is the equivalent to an inning. 

5. You can learn something new from everyone from you meet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS