Wednesday, January 6, 2016

New Year, New Adventure

Dear 2015, 

You have been an amazing year. You've given me rest where I was once anxious, stress levels that I didn't even know existed, pure, genuine happiness, and unforgettable memories. This was a big year of change and trying new things, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I explored the gems and beauty of Athens. I was lucky enough to do that with some of the greatest friends I have ever met, and they have helped me grow into the person that I am today. I am forever thankful that 2015 brought me closer to an amazing group of people. 

I tried my hand at wheel throwing, and learned that I am way more of a perfectionist than I thought. I also learned that I am not that great at wheel throwing, especially when comparing myself among a class of art majors. That's the funny thing about art though, you don't have to be perfect every single time, and I'm glad that class helped me see that.

I finished my first year as a college equestrian, and won the award for best fall (thanks to the horse that will not be named and the standard that fell on top of me). This was the year I really started to change the way I rode mentally. I laughed off my mistakes, brushed off the falls, and tried to challenge my frustration into working harder at my sport. Riding became a lot more fun this year, the way it's supposed to be. I'm still not perfect, but no one is.

I took a leap of faith and applied to the Emerging Athletes Program, and I got in. I don't think it would've have happened without my unfailing support from my family and my trainers (and of course the horses). I got to train with Karen Healey and meet amazing riders and professionals in the sport. I learned how to overcome adversity, how to ride a horse I've never ridden over 3'6'' courses and how to pick yourself up from the ground when you fall off while everyone is watching. The clinic was the most draining and rewarding week I could've have imagined.

It was a smaller year for travel, seeing places like Fort Myers for Spring Break with my roommate, New York City with HTC, Texas over the Summer, Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving, and back to Florida to begin my 2016 adventures. It was a summer of music, getting pit passes to Sam Hunt, Hunter Hayes, and Lady Antebellum, and floor seats to Taylor Swift!!!!! I even got to see (and meet!) musician extraordinaire Miranda Sings! I also spent my summer working at a bakery. It was such a fun summer job, and I met a great group of girls that became my friends. Not many people can say they spent their summer baking cupcakes!

My semester back at OU was definitely the hardest ones yet. It was cluster semester, and every OU business major probably shudders every time they hear that word. Cluster brought lots of tears, lots of stress, lots of late nights, and a group of new lifelong friends and fun celebrations when it was all over. I am grateful for all that cluster taught me even if I hated it while I was doing it. 

My Fall Sophomore semester was still pretty exciting despite cluster. I was initiated into the charter class of Gamma Phi Beta (and got a twin!) I made a surprise visit to VA after driving through the night. My friends from UVA visited me for a weekend. I visited my family in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving. I made some new friends, hung out with the old, and managed to have a little bit of fun along the treacherous cluster path. 

 I love writing out everything that I did over the year and realizing all of the blessings that I have. I am truly grateful for every experience, hardship, and person that has touched my life along the way. 2016's mantra is officially, "New year, new adventures." Farewell 2015, you've been good to me.

Sincerely, 
Allyson xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS